Thursday, January 21, 2010

Java Problems

Steve decided to have his own distribution of Java on MacOSX (Hence Sun does not provide any MacOSX specific JVM). It is actually located in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/ and most of the files there are just links to the latest JDK. Which is not a big deal. However, with Eclispe and Netbeans I had run into some issues which I couldn't figure out. It would complain about some arb xalan problem when trying to do many things in Eclispe (including saving the workspace on exit). Netbeans was much more sneaky. It simply kept on installling plugins into oblivion. That's right - endless loop!
I got fed up and used Pacifist to extract 1.5 JDK from the archive I downloaded from Apple's site. The bonus is I have 2 versions of SDK now instead of 1. Anyways, by editing Eclipse and Netbeans startup scripts I managed to get them going with 1.5.
Today I tried to install IzPack, which came as a jar file and it kept on giving me java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.apache.xerces.dom.DocumentImpl.setXmlVersion(Ljava/lang/String;)V no matter what I did. I tried manually running it with 1.5 to no avail. Until I discovered a bunch of jars in ~/Library/Java/Extensions/ among which was the infamous xalan.jar dated 2003 for some reason. I zapped those and wow! all is working...

No comments:

Post a Comment