Saturday, December 5, 2009

Day Random.nextInt(5)

HOME and END keys... What a pain!!! Keyboard mappings in MacOSX are much to be desired. Luckily there's a program called DoubleCommand. It allows some degree of remapping.

Anyways, so far white cat has been very stable. Sometime it slows down, but its because I have so much stuff open and I think it starts swapping to disk. I think 2GB may not be enough. Who would have thought that a couple of years ago? I doubt I will be able to find DDR3, let alone notebook DDR3 any time soon.

I figured with the disappearing icons, I need to unplug the external monitor first and then put the laptop to sleep to take home. This way it rearranges the desktop well and icons don't disappear anymore.

Oh, the HFS+ by default is journaled, but not case sensitive. This is annoying to say the least. Very confusing for a *nix person anyways. There seems to be a conversion program that some poor dude wrote called HFSConverter. It needs Xcode to compile, but its linked against an old SDK that was dropped in Snow Leopard. The location it references is /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk. Just link to another one, like MacOSX10.6.sdk and off you go. It will compile perfectly.

When I'm feeling brave, I will run it and see if it converts the existing filesystem correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment